On Friday, 18th September, our PYP staff organised ‘Reading Buddies’ – a programme in which younger and older students are paired up for reading together throughout the school year. Reading Buddies helps build a community where students can read together and respect one another, regardless of age differences.
The ‘Little Buddies’ benefit from:
– hearing stories read-aloud (modeling of reading fluency, phrasing and expression)
– having conversations with an older student about topics that interest and involve them (extending their vocabulary, oral language abilities)
– having regular opportunities to practice familiar reading with 1:1 assistance
– enjoying fun, positive experiences with a ‘big kid’ who is now a recognizable face in the school community
The ‘Big Buddies’ benefit from:
– further developing their own literacy skills
– fostering leadership and problem-solving skills
– improved self-confidence that comes from being looked-up to
– a very real and important reason to be responsible, and an opportunity to be ‘caught’ (and praised) for positive behavior
– bragging rights
Reading Buddies promotes a higher interest and engagement in reading, improvement in social and communication skills, particularly for students learning English as a second language. And, most importantly, it’s just FUN!